First steps to collecting your debts
We offer two pre legal debt collection services to chase debts using pre-legal techniques:
1. Pre Legal Collections
These services involve chasing the debtor by email, letter and telephone and reporting back to you and reviewing action at each significant juncture, with a final review to see if you want to move onto our Court Action Services.
The service enables you to take advantage of the Late Payment Legislation which entitles you to add compensation and interest to your debt.
- We recommend that we carry out appropriate searches to check the credit rating of your debtor
- Additional fees will be payable for these searches – but we will discuss them with you before they are incurred
2. Statutory Demands in Pre Legal Collection
Included in this service is consideration of whether to use a Statutory Demand.
- You can only use a Statutory Demand if the debt is in excess of £750 and is not disputed.
- A Statutory Demand is a direct route to starting insolvency proceedings. Without a court judgment, before you can serve a bankruptcy or winding up petition upon a debtor, you must serve a statutory demand for the outstanding debt.
- If a debtor fails to pay within the time limit then insolvency proceedings may be started without notice to the debtor.
A Statutory Demand can be a very powerful collection tool, so it has to be used carefully as there are risks of penalties in costs if misused.
Pre Legal Debt Collection Service Prices
Our charges for debt collection work are transparent and easy to follow. We offer fixed fee services which are based on the amount due to you.
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited’s ‘excellent’ team has a strong track record of recovering international debts for UK companies with business abroad as well as foreign corporations trading in the UK."The Legal 500