Nelsons was formed in 1983 by Tim Hastings and two other solicitors in a small Nottingham office. Since then we have grown to become one of the leading law firms in the East Midlands with offices in Derby, Leicester and Nottingham, providing support and advice to businesses, individuals and families with their legal and investment needs.
At Nelsons, we look to empower our clients, to give them a voice, fight for them, help them seek justice and steer them through the complex legal issues they face. The desire to push ourselves forwards to better serve our clients has been a constant throughout our evolution.
We’ve grown both organically and through several strategic mergers and acquisitions across the East Midlands. In 1999 and 2000, we expanded into Derby and Leicester and in just 18 months acquired seven local firms.
We have always looked to challenge the traditional norms often associated with the legal industry. In 2010, we were one of the first law firms in the region to become a Limited company. Then in 2014, we were granted Alternative Business Structure (ABS) status which allows our employees who aren’t solicitors – such as those in the management, conveyancing and investment management teams – to become partners.
Our specialist experience and the depth of our resources enables us to offer services to other solicitors through Fusion Legal – a mutually-beneficial referrals and support network for law firms.
“Really enjoyed working with a great group of people who understand that culture matters. A lot.”Comment from Professor Damian Hughes (Liquid Thinker - www.liquidthinker.com) following a presentation at our Partners' Conference (January 2019)
Leading the way
We are recognised by leading, independently researched publications, including The Legal 500, Chambers and Partners and we also feature in The Lawyer’s UK 200 Annual Report of the UK’s largest 200 law firms.
We have won the following awards during the last 12 months:
- Company Leader (over 100 employees) award (Stewart Vandermark) at the East Midlands Leadership Awards 2019
- Large Law Firm of the Year and Solicitor of the Year (Dianne Collins) awards at the Derby & District Law Society Awards 2019
- Large Law Firm of the Year at the Leicestershire Law Society Legal Awards 2019
- Deal of the Year at the East Midlands Bricks Awards 2019 with Fairgrove Homes
- SME Deal of the Year at the Insider East Midlands Dealmakers Awards 2019
- Regional Conveyancing Firm of the Year for the East Midlands and the second-place silver award for Overall Conveyancing Firm of the Year at the LFS Conveyancing Awards 2019
We were also shortlisted for The Lawyer Awards 2018 as Law Firm of the Year: The Independents – South and Midlands.
We are committed to the concept that all aspects of our operations and services should be of the highest quality and are accredited by Lexcel. This quality mark recognises the commitment of everyone at Nelsons to providing clients with the superior service which they are entitled to expect.