Gemma qualified as a Solicitor in 2016 with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), as an in-house Government lawyer. She represented the OPG within the Court of Protection in applications relating to Lasting Powers of Attorney, Enduring Powers of Attorney, and deputyship appointments.
Gemma joined Nelsons’ Court of Protection team in November 2019 and was promoted to Senior Associate in June 2022. Gemma deals with a variety of Court of Protection work, along with the management of property and financial affairs under the authority of attorney and deputy appointments.
Gemma is a Trustee for Age UK Nottingham and Nottinghamshire which gives her a unique understanding of the role of a Trustee and their obligations. In March 2023, Gemma became a Director at Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) to continue her work to empower vulnerable adults across the country in ensuring legal advice is readily available and can be sourced in confidence from the members.
Areas of Expertise
- Court of Protection work – including applications for deputyship and trustee appointments, Statutory Wills and approval for gifting
- Management of property and financial affairs under the authority of attorney and deputy appointments
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Lasting and Enduring Powers of Attorney
- Attorney and deputy authorities
- Gifting applications made to the Court of Protection
- OPG authority, including supervision and investigations
- Creation and administration of Personal Injury Trusts
- Administration of charities
- Director at SFE
- Trustee for Age UK Nottingham and Nottinghamshire