Protecting and maximising the value of IP
Unlike a brand name, a product or process that it might protect, Intellectual Property (IP) cannot be seen or held.
As a result, whilst often integral to the day-to-day success of a business, it isn’t unusual for either the value (or sometimes even the existence) of IP to be overlooked, until such time as a dispute arises, the IP is licensed or the business as a whole is sold.
When any of these scenarios occur, questions as to existence, ownership and enforceability of IP might then emerge.
These issues can sometimes be unravelled but the process can be time consuming, costly and uncertain. In some cases, if steps haven’t been taken to immediately protect the IP, any rights that might otherwise have existed, will be lost forever.
Maximising the value of your business’ IP
There are a number of practical steps that can be taken to secure, protect and maximise the value of a business’ IP – whether through:
- Registration of existing unregistered rights;
- IP portfolio management;
- Implementing procedures to ensure safe custody of business critical confidential information; or
- Knowing when an application for a patent or registered design should be made.
To understand which actions you need to take, you need to know what you are looking for.
This is where an IP audit, conducted by one of our IP team, comes in. An IP audit will enable us to:
- Understand your business – like any asset, IP is used to achieve a commercial advantage, and so a thorough understanding of your business is key.
- Identify the IP that is used or/and created by your business.
- Provide you with a written report summarising our findings, as well providing comprehensive advice on how best to protect and maximise the value of your IP.
We offer an IP audit and report as a fixed fee service. Please contact our expert IP team in Derby, Leicester and Nottingham via our online enquiry form or call 0800 024 1976 for more information about our services.
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited's 'focused and talented' team provides 'excellent and prompt service', specialising in contentious and non-contentious trade mark, copyright and design right work, but the group's portfolio of experience also includes patent and passing off instructions.”Legal 500