Compensation for victims of criminal injuries

If you have been injured as a result of a crime, you may be able to make a criminal injury compensation claim with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), a Government scheme which compensates blameless victims of violent crime.

A violent crime is a physical attack, a threat causing fear of immediate violence, arson or a sexual assault. Compensation may be paid for mental or physical injury, loss of earnings or bereavements.

Making a criminal injury claim

To make a criminal injury claim, you must meet the following criteria:

  • The crime must have occurred in Great Britain
  • You must have been resident in the UK on the date of the incident
  • You must have reported the incident to the Police and co-operated with them

The crime must also have occurred in the last two years, except if you are under 18 years old at the time of the incident. In these circumstances, if the crime was reported to the Police prior to your 18th birthday then you have until your 20th birthday to make an application. If the incident was reported to the Police after your 18th birthday then you have two years from the date of the Police report to make an application.

How can we help with your claim?

At Nelsons, we have a team of specialist solicitors who are experienced in handling applications to the CICA and are able to advise you further on whether you have a criminal injury compensation claim and how to proceed.

Criminal Injury CompensationOur team of experts are members of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel – a specialist qualification held by experienced personal injury solicitors – and are recommended by the independently-researched Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.

To find out if you have a criminal injury claim, please contact us to discuss how our personal injury solicitors in Derby, Leicester or Nottingham can help you. For a quick response to your enquiry, call us now or use our online chat.

  • "Nelsons Solicitors Limited has an experienced personal injury team that specialises in handling severe and catastrophic injury cases. The firm features on all appropriate and approved personal injury panels, including Headway and Spinal Injuries Association.”

    Legal 500
  • “Excellent personal injury group with broad-ranging expertise encompassing industrial disease, public liability and RTA claims. Frequently handles cases involving severe injuries. Also experienced in employers' liability mandates.”

    Chambers & Partners
  • "...The team is knowledgeable about a broad range of severe and catastrophic injuries on both the personal injury and clinical negligence fronts, including spinal and orthopaedic injuries. Multi-party actions and inquest-related litigation are also areas where the group demonstrates a proven track record..."

    Legal 500
  • "I am really happy with the level of service I received. Thank you so much."

    Client Feedback

Find out how Nelsons can help you. Contact our friendly team for a guaranteed fast response.

For advice and support 0800 024 1976