Expert advice on creating a charitable trust
Setting up a Charitable Trust, or a charitable company limited by guarantee, are ways of creating a charity so you can:
- Support your chosen cause in a tax-efficient way; and
- Leave a lasting legacy, as a Charitable Trust can run indefinitely.
A Charitable Trust is run by Trustees according to the Trust deed. This is suitable for simple Trusts involving a few people in the decision-making process. Trustees are jointly and severally liable to the charity’s creditors.
If the charity is more complex, then personal liability may be unattractive to the Trustees so you can establish a charity as a company limited by guarantee, whereby:
- Members give a small token sum guarantee;
- The Directors (the Trustees) control the running of the charity; and
- Members can also be Directors.
A charitable company has to:
- Be registered at Companies House and at the Charity Commission;
- Report to the Charity Commission and to Companies House; and
- Comply with both charity law and company law.
The Charity Commission:
- Charities with an annual income over £5,000 must be registered.
- Smaller charities need not register but will need a tax reference from HMRC to enable donors to claim Gift Aid.
Charitable Trusts – How we can help
At Nelsons, we have an expert team of Trust solicitors who can help you in setting up a Charitable Trust.
Additionally, we can also provide you with tailored advice on a full range of other legal services with support from our Employment Law, Corporate services, Dispute Resolution and Investment Management teams.
To discuss how our team can help you in setting up a Charitable Trust, please call us on 0800 024 1976 or contact us via our online enquiry form.
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited has an extensive offering, with practitioners having experience of trust administration, Court of Protection work, investment management, wills and probate..."Legal 500
"The team is friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. They have always answered queries promptly."Client Feedback
"There is excellent communication with all members of the team. If one is off then always someone to help."Client Feedback