Expert help with tax returns

Self assessment involves completing a tax return (online or paper) to submit to HMRC with details of your income and capital gains, and to claim related tax allowances or tax reliefs.

If you pay tax on your earnings or pensions through PAYE, your tax will be deducted by your employer or pension provider; you won’t usually need to complete a tax return. But if you have more complicated tax affairs you may need to complete a self assessment tax return.

There are certain circumstances in which you will always need to complete a tax return, for instance if you are:

  • Self-employed
  • A company director (except not for profit organisations)
  • A minister of religion
  • In receipt of rent or income from land and property in the UK
  • In receipt of other untaxed income where tax due can’t be collected via PAYE
  • In receipt of taxable income from abroad
  • In receipt of annual income from a trust or settlement, or from the estate of a deceased person where further tax is due on that income
  • A trustee or personal representative
  • A trustee of certain pension schemes
  • A name, or member of Lloyd’s
  • An employee with more complex tax affairs

Our self assessment tax service can help you navigate these complexities

  • Preparing your self assessment returns in relation to your employment, investment income (UK and overseas) and any trust income you may have
  • Personal tax computations
  • Capital Gains Tax service – we provide in-house, independent Investment Management services and our advisers can work with you throughout the tax year
  • "Nelsons Solicitors Limited's 'exceptional service level' and 'strength-in-depth' make it a popular choice for clients seeking inheritance tax advice or assistance with trust administration and a broad range of other asset protection issues.”

    Legal 500
  • "Always courteous, friendly but professional staff."

    Client Feedback
  • "Very professional and efficient."

    Client Feedback

Please contact us to discuss how our Financial Services team might offer self assessment tax return help.

Find out how Nelsons can help you. Contact our friendly team for a guaranteed fast response.

For advice and support 0800 024 1976