Real estate acquisitions, leases and disposals advice for charities
A charity, like a business, may at some point wish to lease, buy or sell commercial land or property. While a large proportion of commercial land and property transactions will be the same, irrespective of what the organisation is, there are other considerations to take into consideration when a charity is involved.
There are many reasons that a charity may wish to lease, buy or sell commercial premises, which includes:
- Investment – properties are still one of the most reliable investment options for any business or charity due to their relatively stable growth.
- Retail – many charities use retail properties to sell gifted stock in order to raise money for their organisations.
- Business administration – charities, like any other business, need premises to operate from.
- Complementary functions – charities may wish to buy or lease properties in order to meet their mission statements. For example a sporting charity may wish to take a lease of sporting facilities, a food bank may wish to lease a kitchen.
When buying, selling or leasing commercial premises, charities, unlike other businesses, will also need to consider the following:
- If the trustees of the charity have the power to buy, sell, lease or otherwise deal with real estate;
- What the trustees need to seek, by way of professional advice when buying, selling or leasing land or property; and
- If the trustees are personally liable for the dealings.
Land or property advice for your charity – how we can help
At Nelsons, our team of commercial property solicitors in Derby, Leicester and Nottingham advise charities across the East Midlands and nationally with all types of acquisitions, leases and disposals. We provide charities with bespoke legal advice and assistance regarding their circumstances, taking into consideration their objectives for the future.
Our solicitors can assist with the full range of real estate work for charities, including:
- Commercial leases
- Freehold acquisitions and disposals
- Strategic land acquisitions
- Buying land for development
- Contaminated land and environmental issues
- Developer disputes
- Joint venture agreements
- Construction contracts
- Retail development
- Property and pension funds
- Planning law
- Compulsory purchase
- Rights of way issues
Our Charity team, which is ranked in tier one by the independently researched directory, The Legal 500, is also supported by our specialist Construction and Property Disputes teams, who have a wealth of experience and knowledge across a broad range of commercial real estate work.
For further information on how our commercial property solicitors can help your charity, please contact us via our online enquiry form or call 0800 024 1976 for a guaranteed response.
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited's varied portfolio of work includes strategic land acquisitions, lease agreements, site assembly and project finance transactions."Legal 500
"With particular expertise in the retail and education sectors, Nelsons Solicitors Limited's Leicester team is instructed by developers, investors and banks in various matters, including lease agreements, investment purchases, secured lending transactions and property sales."Legal 500
"Its team is approachable, knowledgeable and refreshingly easy to deal with, compared to some. It has a wide variety of expertise and inspires confidence that, if it is instructed to deal with a matter, it will do so promptly and efficiently."Client Feedback
"I am very impressed with the high level of service and feedback, and delivered at the fixed price quoted."Client Feedback
"Attention to detail and how fast issues are dealt with is outstanding."Client Feedback