Complaints against the NHS
If you have been injured while in the care of the NHS, you are entitled to make a complaint. Every NHS organisation has a complaints procedure, including hospitals, GP surgeries and dentists. Most private healthcare providers will also have a complaints procedure.
Making a complaint about the NHS
For NHS patients, the NHS Constitution explains your rights when making a complaint. Amongst other things you have the right to:
- Have your complaint dealt with efficiently and properly investigated
- Know the outcome of any investigation into your complaint
- Take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with the way that the NHS has dealt with your complaint
Making a complaint can be very helpful for a number of reasons:
- It is an opportunity to get an explanation as to why you were treated in a certain way
- You may be offered a complaints meeting with key members of staff and those who were in charge of your treatment so that you can ask them questions face-to face
- The response to the complaint may be very helpful in terms of bringing a claim for medical negligence compensation. It may contain an admission of fault for example which could make bringing a claim much easier.
How can Nelsons help?
Our team of specialist lawyers may be able to assist you with drafting the complaint. If you have already made a complaint and received a response then we can review this for you and advise whether you have a claim for medical negligence compensation.
We are always happy to discuss the circumstances of your potential claim either over the phone, via email or where appropriate at a meeting.
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited's 'excellent' team provides 'a first-class service for claimants'. The 'highly specialised and dedicated' group is noted for its particular expertise in the more serious cases, such as birth, brain and spinal injuries. Multi-party actions are an area of particular strength, as is inquest-related litigation."Legal 500
"What can I say except thank you so much for everything. You took a chance on our case when no one else would and that made all the difference in the world to us. I feel that we got as much justice as possible."Client Feedback
"You have worked hard on my behalf, and I've come to regard you as a friend over the last year or so. Whatever you advise will be fine by me. I hope you know that I am very pleasantly surprised by what you've achieved for me."Client Feedback
"You have done a fantastic job.”Client Feedback
"Thank you for all the help and support you have given in our darkest time and help to get justice for our daughter."Client Feedback
“Although it has been a long drawn-out battle, your steadfast belief and guidance throughout has resulted in a successful outcome for us all.”Client Feedback
“I was very satisfied with all the legal advice given and the way my case was handled.”Client Feedback
"The staff have been amazing at Nelsons the whole way through the process, making a difficult process an easy one. Thank you!"Client Feedback
“Noteworthy team of clinical negligence practitioners with a proven track record in handling diverse and complicated mandates. Possesses particular experience in birth and spinal injuries with further skill in inquests and human rights issues.”Chambers & Partners
To find out if you have a claim, please contact us to discuss how our Medical Negligence Solicitors can help you. For a quick response to your enquiry, call us now or use our online chat.