Complaints against the NHS
If you have been injured while in the care of the NHS, you are entitled to make a complaint. Every NHS organisation has a complaints procedure, including hospitals, GP surgeries and dentists. Most private healthcare providers will also have a complaints procedure.
Making a complaint about the NHS
For NHS patients, the NHS Constitution explains your rights when making a complaint. Amongst other things you have the right to:
- Have your complaint dealt with efficiently and properly investigated.
- Know the outcome of any investigation into your complaint.
- Take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with the way that the NHS has dealt with your complaint.
Why making a complaint against the NHS?
Making a complaint can be very helpful for a number of reasons:
- It lodges your complaint with the NHS service, which they will then investigate and respond.
- It is an opportunity to get an explanation as to why you were treated in a certain way.
- You may be offered a complaints meeting with key members of staff and those who were in charge of your treatment so that you can ask them questions face-to-face.
- The response to the complaint may be very helpful in terms of bringing a claim for medical negligence compensation. It may contain an admission of fault for example which could make bringing a claim much easier.
Claims against the NHS for medical negligence
Our team of specialist solicitors may be able to assist you with drafting the complaint. If you have already made a complaint and received a response then we can review this for you and advise whether you have a claim for medical negligence compensation.
We are always happy to discuss the circumstances of your potential claim against the NHS, either over the phone, via email or where appropriate at a meeting.
- No win, no fee services
- Help with rehabilitation for your injuries
- A friendly team of experts
We are members of the Law Society Clinical Negligence Panel – a specialist qualification held by experienced medical negligence solicitors – and are recognised by the independently researched Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.
To find out more about compensation claims against the NHS, please contact us to discuss how our medical negligence solicitors in Derby, Leicester and Nottingham can help you. For a quick response to your enquiry, call us now or use our online chat.
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited has an experienced personal injury team that specialises in handling severe and catastrophic injury cases. The firm features on all appropriate and approved personal injury panels, including Headway and Spinal Injuries Association.”Legal 500
"What can I say except thank you so much for everything. You took a chance on our case when no one else would and that made all the difference in the world to us. I feel that we got as much justice as possible."Client Feedback
"You have worked hard on my behalf, and I've come to regard you as a friend over the last year or so. Whatever you advise will be fine by me. I hope you know that I am very pleasantly surprised by what you've achieved for me."Client Feedback
"...The team is knowledgeable about a broad range of severe and catastrophic injuries on both the personal injury and clinical negligence fronts, including spinal and orthopaedic injuries. Multi-party actions and inquest-related litigation are also areas where the group demonstrates a proven track record..."Legal 500
"You have done a fantastic job.”Client Feedback
"Thank you for all the help and support you have given in our darkest time and help to get justice for our daughter."Client Feedback
“Although it has been a long drawn-out battle, your steadfast belief and guidance throughout has resulted in a successful outcome for us all.”Client Feedback
“I was very satisfied with all the legal advice given and the way my case was handled.”Client Feedback
"The staff have been amazing at Nelsons the whole way through the process, making a difficult process an easy one. Thank you!"Client Feedback
“Noteworthy team of clinical negligence practitioners with a proven track record in handling diverse and complicated mandates. Possesses particular experience in birth and spinal injuries with further skill in inquests and human rights issues.”Chambers & Partners