Challenging or disputing a Will
The general position is that the law does not interfere with how people choose to dispose of their property and money when they die. However, the law does provide protection if a dependant is cut out of a Will, or is left less than expected. Our expert team can help you with your Will or inheritance disputes.
Inheritance disputes – Wills
The Inheritance (Provision For Family And Dependants) Act 1975 allows you to claim against a deceased person’s estate if:
- You were financially dependant on the deceased
- Inadequate financial provision has been made for you by the deceased
- You claim within the specified time limits
- You fall into a specified category of claimant such as a surviving spouse, civil partner, child or cohabitee
The other common grounds for an inheritance dispute are if you do not accept the validity of a Will, on grounds such as:
- You want to challenge the mental capacity (testamentary capacity) of the deceased when they made the Will
- You want to challenge the proper execution or interpretation of a Will
- You believe there was another agreement with the deceased before death relating to the disposal of their estate
Our inheritance disputes solicitors
We have substantial experience in all areas of Will and inheritance disputes and can advise on the merits of your claim, as well as how to fund it and the risks associated with claiming.
Our team is recommended by the independently-researched Legal 500 as one of the top teams of specialists in the country. We specialise in these claims and the team includes members of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS).
Please contact us to discuss how our specialist team might be able to act on your behalf in a Will dispute or inheritance dispute.
"Lawyers at Nelsons Solicitors Limited have ‘a breadth of specialist knowledge’, which is evidenced across all forms of contentious trusts and probate litigation. Recent work included a number of high-value Inheritance Act matters, will disputes and estoppel claims”Legal 500
"A reliable, robust, firm which fights its client's corner effectively."Client Feedback
"There is seamless coordination between fee earners when necessary."Client Feedback