- This event has passed.
School Admission Appeals Training
January 17 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Getting the appeals process right is not just a matter of being fair to parents, children and schools, it is also a matter of legal compliance. Training is mandatory for new appeal panel members and clerks and refresher training is also required for those already involved.
This half day course will cover the essentials of school admission appeals and there will be plenty of opportunity to discuss the more challenging aspects of appeals!
The training session will be led by Ian Jones, an Education Law Barrister at Nelsons Solicitors who specialises in Education Law. Ian brings huge experience of the admission appeal process on behalf of schools, parents and as clerk, and regularly provides training to panel members across the country.
The course will cover:
- The legal framework for admissions & appeals
- The key principles of the Admissions Code & Appeals Code
- Natural justice
- Understanding the jargon
- Who can attend the hearing
- Roles of the Chair & panel members
- Role of the Clerk
- The Presenting Officer
- Paperwork for the hearing
- How the appeal hearing works
- Special cases: grammar school appeals* (depending on participants)
- Special cases: infant class size appeals* (depending on participants)
- Decision-making at an appeal: due process, prejudice and the balancing act
- Legal options available
- Human Rights issues
- Equality Act implications
Who should attend?
The training course is suitable for panel members and clerks.
The cost of the course is £175 + VAT per person.