- This event has passed.
Protecting Your Organisation From Discrimination Claims
May 9 @ 9:15 am - 11:30 am
Thursday 9th May 2019
9.15am – 11.30am
It’s not only your employees who can bring discrimination claims – your customers, suppliers, visitors and service users also have the right to complain if they feel they have been discriminated against because of a protected characteristic and all organisations need an awareness of the discrimination regime and how it applies to them.
- Can a bakery refuse to make a gay wedding cake?
- Can a hotel refuse admission to a same sex couple?
- How should a bus driver deal with a wheelchair user when the space on the bus is in use by a parent with a pushchair?
- Can a council provide transport for pupils to non-faith schools but not to faith schools?
- Can a pub refuse admission to travellers or impose extra conditions on their hire of a function room?
Aimed at business owners and senior managers, this forum will cover what you need to know to protect your organisation from discrimination claims from your customers, suppliers, visitors, service users and staff.
Relevant to all sectors and industries but particularly those in education, service, hospitality and leisure, the session will cover;
- Discrimination law: an overview: what and who is protected? Who is liable?
- Case law review
- Positive action, reasonable adjustments and exceptions
- Defending claims
- Compensation and remedies available to successful claimants