- This event has passed.
Mock Employment Tribunal for the Education Sector
April 2 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pmFree
Following the removal of tribunal fees, which made it free for an employee to bring a claim against their employer or former employer, employment tribunal claims are steadily rising. But would your school or trust be prepared to defend a claim and would you know what to expect when you got to the hearing?
The tribunal will focus on the dismissal of a male employee in light of safeguarding concerns raised by a family member. All of the preparations have been made and you will join the action 15 months after the dismissal on the morning of the hearing. This is an opportunity to see first-hand how a tribunal examines the evidence and applies the law to come to a decision in a claim of unfair dismissal. The hearing will be conducted by our Education Team with our very own “Judge Kearsley” delivering the final judgement.
This event would be useful for anyone in the education sector that is involved in or has responsibility for HR, particularly investigations, disciplinaries and appeals including senior leadership, governors and central teams.
You will be able to watch the case from start to finish, see the witnesses give evidence and be cross-examined by the opposing solicitor. Closing submissions will be made by each side and you will have an opportunity to ask questions and discuss the outcome with our specialist team.
This event will focus on:
- The importance of investigating misconduct issues
- Responding to a tribunal claim
- What documents may be relevant to the case
- Who should give evidence and what will be expected of them
By observing what happens at this mock tribunal event you will learn how to minimise the risks associated with dismissals in real life situations. Don’t just take our word for it, here is what some of our previous delegates have said:
- “Absolutely superb! I really have learned so much about HT responsibilities in disciplinary procedures. This area is not covered in any training I’ve received NPQH or internal. Thank you!”
- “Great workshop, very informative – wasn’t heavy going at all – really interesting”
- “The mock tribunal itself was excellent. Good to know the order of proceedings…Very informative and enjoyable event. Thank you!”
The event is suitable for senior leadership, those in central teams with responsibility for HR and governors.
Registration and breakfast will be from 9.30am with the forum starting at 10am. We expect to finish at around 1pm.
The event is free of charge to attend but places are limited.