- This event has passed.
IR35 – Are You Ready For The Changes In April?
March 11 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 amFree
IR35 is a piece of UK tax legislation designed to close a loophole in the tax system where workers could use the setup of a limited company structure in order to pay less tax in a situation where the reality is more one of an employee / employer relationship. Despite the regime being in force for many years, the government believe that many contractors and businesses still abuse the system. As such, reforms which were introduced in the public sector in 2017 will now be extended to private companies with effect from April 2020 in an attempt to stamp down on malpractice.
Under the current IR35 rules, contractors are responsible for determining their own IR35 status and the risk of non-compliance lies with them. However from April 2020 the legislation will place the burden of responsibility on the entity that pays the contractor. The rules will apply to all public sector clients and private sector companies that meet 2 or more of the following conditions:
- an annual turnover of more than £10.2 million
- a balance sheet total of more than £5.1 million
- more than 50 employees
- What is IR35?
- What is changing and who is affected?
- Employment status and determination
- Assessing risks and preparing for the changes
- How this compares to the employment law regime on employees, workers and the genuine self-employed
- The requirement to provide all workers with a statement of terms from 6 April 2020.
This seminar will be of interest both to independent contractors who operate through a limited company and businesses meeting the aforementioned criteria, and will give a valuable insight as to how these changes may affect you.
Registration will be from 9am with the seminar beginning at 9.30am. We expect to finish at around 11am.
There is no charge to attend.