Your rights in the workplace
Our employment law solicitors
If you are experiencing problems at work, we can provide expert employee legal advice regarding your circumstances and help you resolve these issues.Need advice? Contact us to find out how we can help
We can provide legal advice on a wide range of employee queries, including:
- Employment contracts – for example, if you believe your terms and conditions have been changed without appropriate consultation or consent or if you have any queries about the effect of specific provisions of your contract.
- Settlement agreements – for example, if you need advice on a settlement offer that has been made to you or assistance with negotiations, or if you have agreed to terms with your employer and require advice on the terms and effect of a settlement agreement.
- Unfair dismissal claims – for example, if you feel your employer has dismissed you without fair or proper cause or without following the required process.
- Discrimination claims – for example, if you feel you have been the victim of discrimination either during a recruitment process or employment on grounds of your age, sex, disability religion or belief or any of the protected characteristics covered by the Equality Act 2010.
- Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE) – for example, if you have been notified that your employer is selling its business or outsourcing the work that you currently do and you require advice regarding that process.
- Restrictive covenants – for example, if you are considering resigning or have already left previous employment and require advice as to the scope, enforceability or validity of any post-termination restrictions that you are subject to.
- Redundancy – for example, if you feel your role might be at risk, or you have been formally notified that your role is at risk of redundancy and you need advice or support throughout the consultation process. Or, if you feel that a consultation process you have been subjected to was not carried out as it should have been.
- Disciplinary proceedings – for example, if you are facing allegations regarding your conduct and need advice regarding your position and potential mitigation that you could raise or the process generally.
Our expert team of employment law solicitors is recommended by the independently-researched publication, The Legal 500, as being one of the top teams of experts in the country.
Employment law issues are complicated, and each circumstance is unique to that person. We want to ensure that you don’t pay more than you need to for advice on your employee issue and offer initial appointments where you will see a member of our employment law team based on the complexity of your case and their experience and expertise. The charges for these appointments are based on our hourly rates and include up to a one-hour appointment, where you will be able to find out what your legal rights and options are, along with confirmation of our advice after the appointment.
For further information on how our expert team of solicitors across the East Midlands can assist you, please call 0800 024 1976 or contact us via our online enquiry form for a guaranteed response.
"Finally, a line drawn and I am able to move on; this has provided much relief and a sense of calm...I have really appreciated your support and kindness throughout this whole process, thank you. Your input meant I did not have to deal with some rather tricky individuals and gave me the ability to step away from a difficult situation. I am extremely grateful."Client Feedback
"Thanks again for all of your help and guidance through what has been quite a stressful time. Throughout all of this, you have been very friendly and easy to talk to whilst offering the best legal advice in a clear and concise manner. Every conversation and email exchange helped put my mind at ease!"Client Feedback
"Thank you again so much for all your help. I googled ‘best employment lawyers’ and you came up so clearly google got it right on this occasion! You have provided an extremely efficient service and with that for me has come peace of mind. We are very happy with the result."Client Feedback
"The employment department is very responsive, offering pragmatic legal solutions to some very complex issues."Client Feedback
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited is rated for its 'excellent support' and 'professional expertise'…the group handles a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, from industrial relations, whistleblowing and TUPE issues, to redundancy and reorganisation matters and senior executive exits. It also provides strategic HR advice and assistance with disciplinary and grievance hearings and employee consultations.”The Legal 500
"My lawyer was wonderful. This was my first experience of approaching a Solicitor and I wasn't sure what to expect. She helped me massively."Client Feedback
"Thank you for your help during a difficult period of life for me. As well as the friendly welcome."Client Feedback
"My overall experience was a really good one. Easy to do business and friendly too."Client Feedback
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited‘s ‘very professional and competent' team of employment specialists is led by Laura Kearsley , an experienced litigator with a proven track record defending clients in a breach of contract, discrimination, whistleblowing and restrictive covenant cases. Kearsley also plays an integral role in growing the team and strengthening its presence in Nottingham, Leicester and Derby, and has welcomed senior associate Beth Bearder, in addition to two associates, to bolster its multi-locational group. Directors Melanie Morton and Peter Nicholson have a balanced litigious and non-contentious practice, advising on issues such as including HR policies, disciplinary and grievances procedures, restructuring, TUPE and representation in employment tribunals."The Legal 500 2023
"We found the Nelson’s team to be approachable, understanding, professional and concise at a time of great stress and anxiety. Their approach to our employment issue was exactly what we needed when dealing with a matter for which we had no prior experience."Referee feedback provided to The Legal 500 2024
"The team’s willingness to assist and collaborate between departments to deliver the outcome I needed was above and beyond what I could have expected."Referee feedback provided to The Legal 500 2024
"The individuals we engage regularly with take the time to know us and our organisation well. They are focused on solving problems in their context and make the effort to personalise their advice and recommendations as a result. There is a good sense of emotional support and reassurance for staff when engaging in sometimes challenging matters."Referee feedback provided to The Legal 500 2024