Expert legal advice for international divorce
Getting divorced is a stressful experience at any time, but if you or your spouse live outside the UK or are not originally from the UK, there can be extra issues to consider. This is when you need an international divorce solicitor.
Our international divorce solicitors specialise in international and expat divorce law.
We can help if:
- You are originally from England or Wales but are currently living elsewhere in the world and would like the English courts to deal with your divorce;
- You have only recently returned to live in the UK after living elsewhere in the world;
- You are originally from outside the UK but are now living here and wish to divorce here;
- Your spouse lives outside the UK and there may be issues concerning how to trace them or in which country the proceedings should be issued.
Whether you are eligible to divorce in the UK depends upon two things:
- where you are domiciled
- where you are habitually resident
Domicile is a legal point which takes into account not only where you were born but also where you are living now and what your intentions are for the future. Habitual residence, on the other hand, refers to where you live and are based for the majority of the time.
Even if you and your ex-spouse have already been granted a divorce in another country, if you have strong links with England it may be possible for the English courts to deal with any financial matters arising from your divorce. Using the English legal system is often much quicker, cheaper and more effective than attempting to use your local jurisdiction and in many instances expats can be prevented from doing so.
It is also worth noting that it may be financially advantageous to divorce here, so it is important to seek specialist advice concerning expat and international divorce law before issuing divorce proceedings.
"The team at Nelsons Solicitors Limited is praised for its ‘unwavering professionalism and commitment to clients’ that ‘set it apart from the competition’."Legal 500
"Accomplished practice noted for both matrimonial and childcare matters."Chambers & Partners
"Very satisfied with all the service you have given me. Thank you for all the help I have been given."Client Feedback
"Service was superb."Client Feedback
"Excellent service."Client Feedback
"Perfect handling of a sensitive situation."Client Feedback