Agreeing separation issues amicably
Divorce and separation can be an extremely emotional and traumatic experience. Collaborative law allows separating couples to work together with their respective solicitors to find an amicable solution to the issues that they face when parting ways.
Collaborative law enables the key aspects of divorce, including arrangements regarding children and finances, to be discussed at face to face meetings in a calm and constructive way. Each party has the support of their own individual accredited collaborative law solicitor and there should be no need to go to Court.
The collaborative law process is not suitable for all separating couples. It requires both parties to take a constructive and respectful approach to all aspects of their separation.
Collaborative Law Process
The collaborative law divorce process involves the following:
- Each party discussing with their respective solicitors independently, their goals and objectives in respect of divorce.
- Each collaborative lawyer builds a firm relationship with their client and the other party’s lawyer to enable focused and productive discussions at face to face meetings.
- The signing of a Participation Agreement showing the parties’ and their representatives’ commitment to the collaborative process.
- Information gathering with the emphasis on the parties taking the lead in sharing information, including a full and frank disclosure of their financial circumstances.
- Consideration of whether other collaboratively trained professionals would be helpful, including family consultants, financial advisers and/or accountants.
- Once an agreement between the divorcing parties has been reached, the collaborative lawyers will prepare a document setting out the agreement which can be submitted to the Court and endorsed as a legally binding Court order.
Collaborative Law Solicitors
We have one of the largest team of specialist family solicitors in the family solicitors in Derby, Leicester and Nottingham. Our expertise is recognised by the independent directories, The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
We also have an accredited collaborative law solicitor based in Leicester.
“Accomplished practice noted for both matrimonial and childcare matters. Appropriately equipped to assist on public and private children law, including adoptions, child abductions...Active in high-value financial remedy matters, including those involving trusts and commercial assets.”Chambers & Partners
"Nelsons Solicitors Limited's 'well-regarded' team 'has a strong family law offering' with financial relief cases and complex children proceedings at the heart of the caseload."Legal 500
"Very satisfied with all the service you have given me. Thank you for all the help I have been given."Client Feedback
"Service was superb."Client Feedback
"Excellent service."Client Feedback
"Perfect handling of a sensitive situation."Client Feedback