It’s a simple process, based on the following steps:
- An expert medical practitioner is asked to provide a report confirming that the individual lacks the mental capacity to manage their affairs
- An application is then prepared and submitted to the Court. This will include the capacity report as well as details of the individual’s finances and present situation
- The Court will formally issue the application, and notices will then be sent to certain people who can object if they do not agree with the appointment
- An Annual Surety Bond is set up. This will compensate the individual if the Deputy misuses their money
- The Deputyship Order is then issued by the Court.